Tips to Add Value to Vintage Fabric
Taking care of vintage fabric is really important especially when you want to increase its value, you should keep in into better condition. The process of taking care is not limited to the storage of the fabric but you also need to know how it should be cleaned and ironed properly.
Storing Vintage Fabrics
When you are investing your money into vintage upholstery & curtain fabric, you must store it correctly to prove that you haven’t invested into something useless. The first and most important thing is to choose the suitable location. When you find a perfect location, follow few important tips to store fabric:
- After putting nylon on nozzle, vacuum to remove out the dust.
- Put the fabric in rather dark place in normal room temp from 60-70 degrees along with 82% humidity.
- You can store in a box but it should be completely acid free and also make sure to put tissues between sets.
- Avoid putting into plastic bags or boxes especially then they are too tight.
- Don’t fold but roll and also avoid putting against wood.
Cleaning Vintage Fabrics
It is really important to be very careful when you are cleaning fabrics as choosing the inappropriate cleaner might destroy fabric. Therefore, always get the most appropriate cleaners.
- It is strongly advised to put on rubber gloves for cleaning.
- Before using the cleaner on entire fabric, first try it on a small piece.
- Fiberglass fabrics should not be washed in machine.
- Wet rayon vintage fabric should be given extra care.
- Avoid wringing but simply squeeze with gentle hand.
- Use towel to dry fabric and then leave it flat on floor.
Ironing Vintage Fabrics
When you are done with cleaning and washing, the next thing you need to do is proper ironing of the fabrics and this is also very important step as the wrong move can put your valuable fabric into risk and the value will automatically be reduced. Therefore, here are few simple tips which you should read to have correct ironing.
- First of all, set the appropriate temperature on the iron.
- Wash and dry your both hands
- It the fabric has stains and dirt, don’t iron on it.
- Remove the stains carefully before ironing.
- Using distilled water will save you from clogs.
Following the above tips for cleaning, ironing and storing your vintage floral upholstery fabric will definitely increase its value and life.
Vintage Floral Upholstery Fabric for Your Arm Chairs, Sofas & Window Blinds
When things are home-grown or home-made, gives the impression of life at slower pace and help you to make your home a restful and relaxing place on earth to live. Either by making things by yourself or find something on the high street and then arrange them by your own will, there are ample of things around you for that matter.
A blank canvas is the perfect place to start with. Put white color on your walls and floors with painted or plain wooden tiles, and place few woven rugs for texture and warmth. For kitchen tiled flooring is perfect, however if by luck you are able to find flagstones then go for them.
For furniture use material that is strong just like oak and pine. A dresser made by wood is necessary element of furniture as it can showcase your crockery and other pieces of arts. Although few elements of iron can be introduces in your furniture list, armchairs and sofas must be of soft material to make them comfortable.
When you are done with all these basic elements, now it is time to select your fabrics. Cotton, wool, linen and other natural fabrics are perfectly right. The designs can be checks, floral and even birds and other creatures. For colors you can use pink, greens and pastel blue. It isn’t necessary to match the fabric, indeed it better not to match. However they are needed to balance each other and must be of similar scale. Use fabric as upholstery fabric, curtain fabrics, for cushions and blinds.
For windows especially in bedrooms use floral designed fabrics. Dress the bed with patchwork or crazy-quilt with few woolen throw. You can also make a feature wall with floral printed wallpaper.
For kitchen get gingham or ticking fabric for curtains, table piece, and for blinds. Fill all your antique collection inside your dresser. White and Blue china is ever green and perfect for that appearance. Add some woven baskets filled fresh flowers to make things more happening.
Such vintage appearance harps to past age and gives a new, relaxing and comfortable look to your home, no matter how old is your property is or whether it is rural or urban, this appearance will work.